Monday, November 9, 2009

The devils of 'Procrastination'

Monday was a drag. I slept over the work I had shoved under the carpet on Friday meaning to finish them at leisure during the weekend. I had planned to wake up early and finish it off by Monday morning. As the Monday dawn started breaking in, I felt like I wasn’t prepared to face it just yet. I couldn’t get myself to believe that the weekend was over and the weekly drudgery had started. It was not that I wanted to turn back the clock; I just didn’t want to get back into the herd just yet. I was reeling under the anguish and despair on facing one whole week again. Then the rain gods shined upon me with their incessant showers bringing in hope that I’ll be stuck home after all. So what if the drainage systems in Chennai have improved and flooding has reduced drastically. I can’t take that risk. I snuggled back into my blanket and kept myself online just to make sure there weren’t going to be any nasty surprises coming in from work. Rage of Angels (Sidney Shelton) had kept me pinned in that position and by the time I got out I realized that I had skipped breakfast and lunch.

Though I hated to be under the pressure of a tight deadline, I seemed to be most productive during these instances. I dealt with my pilled up office work early next morning, at least enough to cover my ass from immediate fire. I have been doing this right from my school days. I keep postponing all the homework, assignments, and exam preparation until the last moment. I dive in only when alarm bells start ringing when it dawns to me that not much time is left. I get angry at myself for not starting the work earlier and start performing with a vengeance. So, though I finish my tasks, the accomplishment always comes with a pinch of salt that I could have done better had I started earlier with the same vigor. Back to work now…

No comments:

Post a Comment