Sunday, October 18, 2009

Diwali weekend

I have been in Pondy for the last 2 days, celebrating Diwali with my parents. I thought I’d rather be with Achan and Amma for the festival than be with my brother now that Chetan and Chechi have their own son to celebrate this festive occasion with.

Though not very kicked about spending money on crackers, I bought a Diwali set anyways to go with the routine. Amma surprised everybody by stepping in first and bursting crackers for the first time in her life. She was no longer afraid of them irrespective of their size or the number of crackers attached to one wick, she burst them all exuding the confidence of a veteran. There was no one around to join us in lighting up the other sparklers and other fireworks, so Amma and I did the honors. Being just two of us, the activity soon became more of a chore which we wanted just get over with. The festive day also brought in some more ‘1st time’ landmarks for Chetan and Chechi. Arav seemed to have rolled over for the 1st time and has now learned to laugh.

Diwali has been my most favorite festival right from my childhood due to the excitement it brings in. Even now when we all are aware the pollution that fireworks cause, I still cannot resist the urge to lit up some ‘Atom bombs’. Diwali will seem incomplete if there are no shreds of paper covering your front porch and the lingering smell of burn gun powder in the air.

These two days were lit with exclusive family moments making this Diwali both unique and joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment