Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I got my first real 6 string

I got my first real 6 string yesterday. I always wanted to play the drums but had to settle for the guitar due to practical reasons. It’s been one month since I have been strumming on Maddy’s guitar and I felt ready to own one of my own. I am headstrong about learning to play this instrument. I have seen so many of my friends jumping into learning this with full gusto but ultimately give up. So now I know what I’ll be facing. This inspires me even further to tame this dragon as it’s portrayed to be and make it my friend.

Learning an instrument is tough. It needs the same amount of determination, willpower and effort as you would need to bring out a 6 or 4 pack abs. People always start with great vigor and enthusiasm, spending long hours and bragging about how long they have been practicing. After some time, which is typically 2 months, the time spent learning gradually reduces and they start blaming everything around them (usually work) due to which they have to skip practice. By the end of this phase you start questioning the reasons behind taking up this initiative. You start piling up reasons on why you shouldn’t be playing the guitar. Some of them being:
You are a left hander you are not meant to play a right handed guitar.
Your fingers are too small and lack strength.
Your mind is not tuned to play the guitar; you wanted to learn drums, why do you have to strain your brain like this.
You are too old to learn. And so on…

All you need to do while having these thoughts is that understand you are not the only one who has had to face this kind of situation. There might be millions who are/were going through the same phase and majority of them dropped out. But you should realize that even Slash or A.R Rahman went through the exact same phase. The difference was that they carried on no matter what. You should stand firm on your reason to play the guitar whoever trivial and invalid it may eventually seem to be. That’s exactly how Slash became Slash. The easy part is that there is no pressure on you to be as good as Slash, so you are under a more conducive atmosphere to learn than him. You just need to remember that once you across these 3-4 months practicing; you can look back and say I never gave up no matter how bad I am at it and this willpower takes me a cut above the rest makes me a better individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment