Thursday, October 15, 2009

Snapped my 1st guitar string

One of the strings of my guitar (the 1st one, thinnest) snapped while I was practicing last night. As I was adjusting the knob of the string to set the right note, it snapped and lashed across my strumming fingers causing a sharp pain to shot across my index finger which promised me that bleeding would follow. But, at last there was no bleeding just pain.

The sting throbbed through my finger combined with the psychological sting of having lost a string. Though I have been playing it regularly, this occurrence was beyond my comprehension. However, I couldn’t ignore the faint but clear self appreciation within me which said I practiced so diligently that I broke on off one of the strings. The guitar is barely 2 weeks old. I never thought I’ll have to deal any repairs for at least the next 3 months. It starkly reminded me of the mortality of life and everything around us. While the fact that nothing is forever might sound too harsh, it shouldn’t be ignored or dishearten us. We should take that as an opportunity to explore new things. If we were stuck with the same thing, we would have never known other opportunities that existed. Rather than sulking on the fact that we lost something, we must realize that we have been given an opportunity to explore new things. Pushing us out of our comfort zone will be hard on us, but it presents itself as a chance to break our shackles and explore.

I have been wanting to by a plectrum, but I have been postponing this because of my laziness to figure out the location of the music shops around my area. This broken string will force me to get up and find out. Look at a good part… This way I get to figure out the location of my nearest shop, buy my plectrum and repair my guitar. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment