Thursday, October 29, 2009

Winters

Winter seems to have set in. But alas, winter in Chennai only means more rains and cloudy afternoons. It is still and will always be far too hot for woolens. The cold mornings and nights during my stay in Bangalore trip were reminiscent of the winters in Noida and Delhi. I miss those Delhi winters where you need to cover yourself with 2 sweaters and tuck yourself deep inside fat comfy razai’s to escape the icy chill. Unlike tropical Chennai, where you can survive with cotton throughout the year, one can notice a marked difference in the apparel and fabric worn. The T-shirts and shirts are covered with fluffy sweaters or thick woolen coats. Everyone right from the janitor walks around in leather shoes or snickers. Everybody seemed to be well dressed. Groundnut and egg stalls prop up in street corners at night. Gulping down a piping hot boiled egg covered with a dash of salt, chilli and pepper seemed just what was needed to brave the biting cold.
For now, I need to content myself with the fact that I use my cotton blanket not just to cover myself from menacing mosquitoes but also to get some warmth from the mildly cold morning breeze due to the showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment